Welcome to your home away from home, a 950 sq ft beautifully furnished apartment over detached garage with views of the fields and woods. We are a short distance of 10.1 miles from Hampden-Sydney and 5.7 miles from Longwood University.
We are proud to provide a discount to active/retired/disabled veterans, first responders, educators, and return guests!
Welcome! Our main home, as told to us, was originally a one room log cabin which has been added on to and updated over the years. In the late 1850's the four square was built to the front of the cabin and has expanded with successive owners. The detached garage, which houses the apartment above and built within the last 10 years, is only used for storage of the antiques we love to decorate with and occasionally sell so no worries about vehicle fumes or noise.
• Roomy with one bedroom and one bathroom.
• Main floor is open layout (kitchen, living room, dining room).
• High Speed Wi-Fi throughout.
• Central Heating and air conditioning.
• Six acres of property with room to roam.
• Seasonal garden (nothing like a fresh vine ripened tomato!). So, depending on the time of year you stay, this is a big plus!
• Fresh, cold well water which is triple filtered at the source!
• Rinnai tankless on demand hot water heater ensures hot water....well, on demand!
• Beautifully furnished leather seating and antiques to provide comfort and relaxation after a day of exploring this historic area!
• Private double length carport adjacent to apartment for parking; perfect for parking your boat with the added benefit of electric hookup for charging your batteries.
• Enjoy your mornings and the gorgeous sunsets overlooking the garden and fields you sit on the front porch in your choice of the antique cushioned rattan set or teak furniture.
• Equipment to cook to your heart's content (if you want to)… toaster, pots, pans, bakeware, etc...
• Keurig with a variety of K-cups
• Open to dining room which features an antique English pub table. It expands to seat 6 comfortably although we only have 4 chairs in the apartment currently. If there are more than 4 guests, we can make more chairs available prior to arrival.
THE LIVING ROOM
• Open layout so dining room and living room are together and open to kitchen
• 27" LED TV (will be upgrading to a larger tv in the near future), DVD/Blu Ray Player… equipped with hi-definition DirecTV for all the local channels.
• Board games, DVDs, Books
• Nicely lit with large windows, track lighting and ceiling fans/lights.
• Twin daybed
• Leather seating. The couch cushions are down wrapped foam and makes for a very comfortable place to lounge as well as sleep, as my husband and I can both attest to.
• Beautifully upholstered queen size bed with a Restonic Marvelous Middle mattress (we have actually had guests ask the manufacturer so they can buy one!), dresser, antique vanity, antique nightstand, ceiling fan and closet. (Will be adding a tv to this room in the near future with wireless connection to the satellite box)
• Full size air mattress with electric pump is available for extra guests and located in bedroom closet along with extra sheets, pillows and blankets.
• Full size bathroom with bath/shower, sink, toilet and luxurious bath towels, hand towels, bath mat and wash cloths.
• Forgot a toothbrush or razor? They are available, just ask. We also provide soap, shampoo/conditioner, mouthwash, toothpaste, and blow dryer.
IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS
• The apartment is beautifully furnished with leather seating and antiques to provide comfort and relaxation after a day of exploring this historic area!
• Rice, Farmville and the surrounding areas provide a great place to live and play. We hope to make your trip as stress free as possible!
• Let us know why you are coming to town and what can be done to make your stay more enjoyable (i.e. if traveling with children let us know their ages, so we can ensure age appropriate games/movies/books are available. Toys are sterilized between guests for the safety and enjoyment of your little ones.)
• Although we are available to answer your questions, a house manual is provided with the WI-FI password, local eateries, area brochures/pamphlets and information including grocery stores and more.
• K-Cups, hot chocolate, tea, microwave popcorn, basic cooking essentials (oil, sugar, etc…) are in the kitchen. For breakfast, we stock the refrigerator and kitchen with fresh eggs from our free range chickens, orange juice, milk (cow, almond, soy depending on your preference), bagels, danishes or doughnuts, oatmeal, cereal and fruit.
• Yes, we even have an umbrella (or two, if needed) for your use in case it rains.
• Pillows and mattresses are all encased in Aller-Ease Water Proof Allergy Protectors for your comfort and peace of mind. Linens are washed in All Free and Clear detergent for our guests with chemical sensitivities.
• We are set back off highway 460, Prince Edward Highway. The apartment, located over the detached garage, is set back further from the house, overlooking the garden, giving both peace and privacy.
• We are located midway between Lynchburg (1 hr) and Richmond (1 hr) and just a few short minutes from Farmville. Amelia and historical Appomattox are just 30 minutes away. Charlottesville is approximately 1 1/2 hours. Hamden Sydney is 10.1 miles away while Longwood University is 5.7 miles door to door.
• Being located along highway 460, getting to your destination is a breeze. A big advantage, during bad weather, the highway is at the top of the list for clearing. My husband does his best (ok, I have to brag, he does an excellent job) keeping the driveway clear with the road blade during the winter.
• A kayak is available for use during your stay. If your vehicle doesn't accommodate transporting it to your planned local adventure, we will coordinate, as our schedule allows, delivery and pick for you. We also provide the required safety equipment (life vests, etc).
Accès des voyageurs
Full apartment, covered carport and the downstairs covered porch. Feel free to stretch your legs and explore the property!
If we are not home when you arrive, the key will be available through a combination lock box.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
My husband and I are both retired. We live in the main house on the property and are available to answer questions, handle any concerns that may arise or if you just want to sit and chat while enjoying a cold glass of iced tea. You can reach us by any or all of the below: phone/text, email, a shout out the window if we are working in the yard, or just a knock on the door of the main house.
In appreciation to those who serve our nation and educate our children to be our Country's future leaders, we offer a 10% discount to active/retired military, first responders, and educators. ID, identifying you as such, must be provided as verification for the discount. We are so happy when our guests return for repeat visits and, to show our appreciation, offer a 5% discount. Please send an inquiry prior to booking so we can send the discounted rate to you in the form of a special offer. If you forget to do so, we will provide the refund in the form of cash which will be in the apartment upon arrival.
Check-in/check out times, outside those listed, are flexible depending upon guests departure/arrival prior to/after your stay. We will do our absolute best to accommodate your needs!
We do have two extremely friendly "city- fied" goldendoodles as part of our family. They are indoor dogs who are only outside if with us or to use the bathroom. Please let us know if you have a fear of or allergy to dogs so we can ensure they are on a lead when outside during your stay. None of the pets have had or will have access to the apartment affording our guests a pet allergy free environment!
Our chickie girls and their macho man "Roo" are usually allowed to roam during the day eating up all the yummy bugs, worms and grass. Roo is not an aggressive rooster and will not come near anyone except us as we are "the bringers of food". Again, if you have a fear or/allergy to them, let us know and we will keep them in their yard during your stay.
We are proud of our apartment and want to keep it nice for all of our guests. In order to do so, we ask that all guests follow house rules:
•NO Pets (I love them, you love them… but don't want the damage or the dander) We are looking at providing kenneling services for your furry kids in the near future.
•NO Launching of rockets, Monster truck tug-of-wars, or anything else that violates the rules of insurance or basic common sense.
•Have a good time, but no loud music or parties please.
•Please take off your shoes when going through the apartment (it's the grit/rocks in shoes that wear out the floors). We have provided a shoe rack at the top of the steps.
•Tidy up after yourselves upon leaving the house (i.e. Monopoly isn't nearly as fun when you can't find the die!)