À propos de ce logement
• A unique COED, hostel-style room with both a queen-size bunk bed (double occupancy) AND a single-size bunk bed (single occupancy).
• NOTE: This is NOT A PRIVATE ROOM. If you are not interested in sharing a room with other travelers please do not book this listing.
READ FULLY BEFORE BOOKING
• This listing is for the BOTTOM QUEEN bed only.
• Each listing is for ONE BED ONLY and NOT THE FULL BUNK NOR FULL ROOM.
• A booking for 2 guests will share ONE queen bed in the bunk.
• NOTE: Additional cost for second guest in the queen bed.
• NOTE: This is not a private room. *Other guests may book the other three beds in this bunk-room and share the accommodations with you.
There could be anywhere between 1 to 6 guests in this room at a time. 4 is more typical.
• Close to everything: See neighborhood description.
• On the bus line
• This room is on the main floor and is just off the entry way near the front door. It is an east corner room facing NE Broadway St. (main thoroughfare).
• This house has a total of 7 rooms; two-story Craftsman home/guesthouse.
**Additional rooms available**
Check out our other listings through our profile page.
**AFTER BOOKING REFER TO YOUR AIRBNB CONFIRMATION EMAIL FOR INSTRUCTIONS & ACCESS INFORMATION.
Accès des voyageurs
• Our house is set up for self check-in, so please review the house manual and house rules for all the info.
**Please be sure to read both completely before your arrival and let us know of any questions you may have.
• Although self check in is available, it is helpful for us to know what time we can expect your arrival. Please shoot us a message on the app when you know your ETA then...
The front door has a code lock. The combination will be provided in the reservation confirmation email from Airbnb after booking.
• You will have access to your room and all communal areas. The only areas off limits are other private bedrooms. Otherwise, please feel free to be at home here in the common areas.
• The toilets upstairs and down are available for anyone in the house. The showers in the bathrooms are reserved for the floor that your room is on... Downstairs guests use downstairs showers and upstairs guests use upstairs showers.
• There is no curfew. You may come and go as you please with respect to noise when using doors/Windows and walking lightly.
• Check in/Check out:
Check in starts at 2:00 pm. Please let us know if you need to arrange an early or late check in. If you do come early, your room may not yet be turned over but you can drop off your stuff and hang out until it is ready or go cruise the town.
Check out is 10:00am. You don't need to rush out the door at that time, it just means that we need the bed available to turn over for the next guest. You are welcome to leave your stuff (packed up and placed in the luggage storage area) while you cruise for the day and come back for it.
If you have to be up and out before we have a chance to see you, don't worry. You are clear to go when you need to and there is no face-to-face check out needed, although goodbye hugs are always welcomed...but don't feel like you need to sneak out if you don't want a hug. ;-)
• Parking/bike storage: In case you prefer to bring your transportation with you...We offer two stalls in the back of the house that are $10/day on a first spoken for basis. We also have a bike shed out back. Let us know if you need parking or bike storage and we will let you know what's available. (Bike storage is free, but limited)
Alternatively, street parking can be found within a 2-4 block radius around the house in the residential areas (not on NE Broadway).
• Access to shared kitchen.
• Laundry is available for a fee of $4 per load.
• Towels, washcloths, shampoo, conditioner, body wash and linens are all provided as well as ear plugs upon request.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
Ian, Sharmil & Sharon (Sharmil's mother) live upstairs and will often be on hand for any questions, advice, or emergencies (or for a motherly hug). You can also message us through Airbnb and we will respond ASAP.
We offer each of our guests one complimentary INTRODUCTORY coaching session with either of us. You can speak with us about it during your stay, message us via the app, or email us: (EMAIL HIDDEN) (Ian) or (EMAIL HIDDEN) (Sharmil) to set up an appointment.
Sessions are generally an hour long and can be done in person during your stay, or via phone/video chat if we don't have an opportunity to meet with you while you are in town.
And, if you are interested but want to know more about what we do, we are happy to answer any questions.
We are a very short walk from the Red and Blue Max (light rail) trains as well as being right on the bus line, so pretty much all of Portland is yours to explore for a mere $2.50 for a two hour ticket or $5 for an all day ticket.
Our street, NE Broadway, is a main thoroughfare and is butted right up against gorgeous residential areas with old growth trees and 100 year old homes.
We are a 25 minute walk from the Oregon Convention Center and The Moda Center. We are south of the Alberta Arts District, and north of Burnside, the main strip and dividing line of the city. It's a quick Max ride downtown as well.
However, if you wish to stay within a few blocks of the Guesthouse, you've got more than enough options to keep you busy. Right across the street are two iconic Portland landmarks, The Cadillac Cafe (try the Hazelnut French Toast!) and The Helen Bernhard Bakery (fresh donuts and pastries every morning? Bring back a pie to share with friends? Oh yes...).
Next door to the Guesthouse is Broadway Books, an independently owned bookstore, which are few and far between these days. Pick up a book and head to nearby coffee shop to while away the hours. There's Cafe D'Arte, at the end of the block, and a Starbucks (if that's your thing) nearby as well. OR stop at Eb and Bean for some locally made frozen yogurt.
Further east along Broadway there is Costello's Travelers Caffe, a travel themed restaurant with pictures and info up from all over the world. Good for European-inspired food, coffee, pastries, and drinks, it gives you a real feeling of being on the road and moving. Perfect for the guesthouse traveler. Try the Farmer's Breakfast Scramble!
Should you prefer to prepare your own food, there is a Safeway, a Fred Meyer and a New Seasons within easy walking distance from the house, and we have plenty of storage space in the kitchen for both refrigerated and non-refrigerated goods, to suit all your home cooking needs.
And it wouldn't be a trip to Portland without beer! There's the Rose and Thistle Pub, The Hop Haven Bottle Shop, McMenamin's Broadway Pub, and the Broadway Grill and Brewery, all within a close walking distance. It's enough for a proper pub crawl.
Just a bit further north is the Alberta arts district (small area of shops and galleries) and even better still is south to Burnside, Belmont & Hawthorne...areas not to be missed...full of (more) restaurants, breweries, parks, vintage shops, bakeries, and wonderful old neighborhoods.
Last but not least, Lloyd Center Mall, one of Portland's main malls, is also within close walking distance, with over 100 shops and two separate movie theaters.
Close to several bus lines, as well as the red and blue max lines at Lloyd Center.
- The big internet search engine (which shall be unnamed) is great for directions to/from our place.
1734 NE Broadway
- TriMet (Portland's public transit) has an app that you can install on your phone that will allow you to purchase transit credit and have it loaded on your phone (there is a $5 minimum charge through the app).
- A 2 hour ticket cost $2.50
- An all day ticket is $5.00
(buses take cash only and don't give change. Certain MAX stations will have card machines you can use for payment.)
***The app "Trimet Tickets" will allow you to buy and store tickets on your phone.
- UBER & Lyft are now available in Portland!! YAY!
- For the classic cab we recommend Radio Cab: (phone number hidden) and they also have an app. (website hidden)
Portland also has both Car2go and ZipCar if you have memberships to either/both.
- From the airport:
The least expensive way ($2.50 one way per person ) to get from the airport is on the MAX, the light rail train. It is quite comfortable and clean and will take approximately 35 - 40 minutes. Get off at the Lloyd Center stop, which is about a ten minute walk to the house. It's perfect, if you don't have a lot of baggage.
If you would rather not walk, Uber a Lyft both serve this area and are quite reliable and a bit less expensive than a cab ($25 - $35, depending upon the day and time ). If you choose to take a taxi (usually about $10 more than Uber ), we suggest Radio Cab.
So, you have choices.
Enjoy your adventure.
Front door has a coded keyless lock. That info will be in your confirmation email after you book.
There is a bike shed on the side of the house. The same key for the bike shed opens the lock on the gate.
FIRST THINGS UPON BOOKING:
1. Please read the HOUSE MANUAL and house RULES that are in your Airbnb confirmation email.
• You might need to look in your spam folder if it's not in your inbox and/or use a computer vs the app to access the manual as it doesn't alway work on mobile devises.
• Our address, all house access info, instructions on finding your room, WIFI codes, etc as well as conduct expectations are all listed there.
• They will guide you around the house in the event of self-check in.
• **Please prepare in advance by familiarizing yourself before your arrival and letting us know of any questions you may have.**
WALKING LIBERTY ~ HOUSE RULES
Many of the house rules would be considered commons sense to some and yet, we have found it prudent to be specific.
If these seem straight forward to you then wonderful! You will have a very easy stay. If these seem challenging or irritating then you may prefer accommodations elsewhere.
~ This is a smoke and drug free house.
• If you wish to smoke cigarettes please do so off the property and away from the doors and windows (not on the porch)
• Do NOT leave any butts or ashes ANYWHERE.
~ No animals :-( We love them, but can not have them in the house.
~ Please keep perfumes and colognes to a minimum and be sure to ventilate the area after spraying.
~ FOOD / KITCHEN:
• The food & condiments in the kitchen are for private use.
• Please only use what you have brought and...
• Help yourself to anything labeled “FREE” or “GUEST” but please only eat your own food otherwise.
• LABEL whatever you bring into the kitchen with your NAME and DATE.
• Labeled food items may be stored in the guest refrigerator or on the wire shelf next to the fridge.
• Should you happen to cook fish, PLEASE make sure the kitchen is well VENTILATED, so as to not smell up the rest of the house.
~ CLEAN UP:
• Please clean up after yourself...
• Particularly in the common areas and the kitchen (See posted clean up instructions in kitchen).
• Trash and recycling are under the kitchen sink.
• Cleaning supplies are in the laundry area behind the door.
• Do not leave any kitchen items in the rooms when you check out.
• Please let us know if there are any issues such as stains, damage, major spills, etc. We understand that sometimes things happen and appreciate being told when they do rather then discovering it after you've checked out.
~ EATING AREAS:
• FOOD AND DRINKS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN YOUR ROOMS OR THE BASEMENT (except water).
• You may eat in the kitchen and please fully clean up after yourself. Thank you very much for complying with this, as it makes a huge difference in regards to bugs and rodents.
• Towels, washcloths, shampoo, conditioner and body wash are provided.
• Keep your towels, washcloths & toiletries in your room and do not leave them in the bathrooms.
• Please use the ventilation fans during your shower and remember to remove your hair from the shower after use.
• There are two full bathrooms (main floor and second floor) and two half baths (main floor and basement).
• The full baths have a signup list so everyone has fair access to showers when needed.
• Please use the shower on the same floor as your room. The two half baths may be used by anyone.
• We appreciate your help in keeping the bathrooms clean to be enjoyed by everyone.
~ VISITORS / EXTRA GUESTS:
• Daytime visitors for short periods are cool.
• Overnight visitors are not permitted and double occupancy in the single bunks is not allowed.
No napping with a visiting buddy in the bunks.
• Please advise your guests to introduce themselves to us if we run into them in the house. We protect our space and our guests space and can be a bit abrupt if someone is in the house who we are not expecting.
• Door codes may NOT be shared with visitors or anyone not a registered guest.
~ IT'S A SHARED SPACE and an OLD HOUSE:
• There is no curfew. You may come and go as you please with respect to others.
***When coming in at night please pay extra attention to close doors quietly and walk softly. It is an OLD house and sound travels.
Please be gentle with the doors and windows as they are primarily original to the house built in 1908!
• Quiet hours: 10:00 PM to 9:00 AM
Please respect that this is a shared space, with other guests and tenants who get up for work in the morning.
• Loud walking, stomping & talking will be addressed, if after 10 PM.
~ COMMON AREAS & COURTESY:
• The kitchen, foyer, basement & bathrooms are common areas for guest use.
• Please use headphones when watching movies / TV or using personal devices.
• The finished basement is available for your enjoyment and hanging out. Feel free to use any games or entertainment provided.
• *There is no food or drinks allowed in the basement (except water) and quite hours are from 10 PM to 9 AM.
• Please do not sleep in the basement. You may be awakened and asked to return to your room if you wish to continue sleeping. Thank you for understanding how this effects the free use of the space by other guests.
• Feel free to turn on lights as needed and please also turn lights off when you are done.
~ HEATING / COOLING / VENTILATION:
• DO NOT adjust the thermostat as it effects other tenants in the building and it will freeze up and stop working if set too low.
• If you need something to be more comfortable, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate.
• There are fans available in each room and extra blankets may be provided.
~ OFF-LIMITS AREAS:
• The house has coded locks so if you don't know the code or have a key, that room is not for you. ;-) Do not go into other peoples rooms.
We want you to leave with a smile on your face. :-) If there is anything we can do to improve your stay please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate.
Si vous annulez jusqu'à 5 jours avant votre voyage, vous recevez un remboursement intégral, frais de service compris.
Cet hôte a 1454 commentaires pour d'autres propriétés.Voir d'autres commentaires
We are Ian, Sharmil & Sharon (Sharmil's mom)
Ian & Sharmil and are both Desire-based life coaches and OM trainers. Our work is often in the areas of relationships, communication, intimacy, connection, and how to live a fulfilled life lead by desire rather than fear. We are blessed to be able to work from home. Sharmil is also a professional photographer on hiatus.
Sharon (Sharmil's mom) aka "the house mom" is great for the warm motherly touch, advise or conversation or sometimes the swift kick in the butt, when needed. ;-)
If you have the privilege to meet this wonderful soul, know that she is our trusted partner and please treat her as you would or better than your own mother.
A little about our hosting approach:
We find that community is an essential part of our way of life. I jokingly (and kind of seriously) say "Now that you're here, you are family. Now that you know this, are you sure you want to stay?" ;-) That's because this is our home, the home of our chosen family and everyone we invite into it is done with love and we don't hide anything. We are real people who live real lives under this big beautiful roof and do our best to live what we teach.
That being said, if you want a retreat and would prefer to keep to yourself that's totally cool too...all part of being real. We need time to ourselves as well.
Our goal and desire is for our home to be your home-away-from-home and perhaps you will come to love it (in all it's quarks) as much as we do.
*And we love greetings and farewells with hugs*
We (Sharon included) have lived well traveled lives and that is a large part of why we decided to start a guesthouse in our home. Having been a guest countless times over our lives and travels has instilled an appreciation for the value of a home over a hotel.
We are happy to offer each of our guests one free introductory coaching session (on any topic of interest) with either of us. You can speak with us about it during your stay or message us via the app to set up an appointment.
Sessions are up to an hour long and can be done in person during your stay, or via phone/video chat if we don't have an opportunity to meet with you while you are in town.
And if you are interested but want to know more about what we do, we are happy to answer any questions.