I understand that Jeff was not happy because I claimed extra cleaning and repair cost for some stains on the walls and carpet and some small damages, total $130. So I expected some negative comments, but still I was shocked by his distorted reviews and made up blames, using words like "liers", "illegal deal", "rude comments". Following are the facts:
1. My husband Alan drove to where Jeff stopped on his way to the unit and handed over the key to him at the address that Jeff provided, which he said was even better than waiting for them to arrive as they would have more flexibility on when to arrive.
2. Alan did not talked with him much when he handed over the key as Jeff had quite a few suitcases to handle at that time. Later Jeff called me and I informed him where things are and internet login, etc. We even bought a new rug for his baby boy to play on.
3. The unit was cleaned a few days before Jeff checked in and the clean quilt cover was left on the bed. Alan lived over 70km away from the unit so he did not go back to put the cover on. I called Jeff to say sorry that they had to put the quilt cover themselves. He said it was OK. The "kitchen items still in packaging" was actually a box of new wine glasses we just bought.
4. He never contacted me about the damages on the wall, doors,etc, as there were no damages until they left. Otherwise Jeff would have sent me the photos when he found them as the stains were bright colour and very obvious.
5. Jeff called me about TV not working and I suggested him redoing a search of channels and if it still not worked, give me a call so I would contact the building manager as we suspected it was antenna problem. At the same time I suggested he use internet to watch Australian Open as we have super fast fibre NBN. Jeff never called me the next day so I presumed the TV was OK. If broken TV had been an issue to him, he should have contacted me in that 18 days.
6. Jeff did not contact me the day before his departure. Only after I sent him a message at 6am on the last day saying Alan was going to the unit at 10 am that he called me right after saying they would leave then. So I told him to drop the key to our letter box. Just a common sense question: If a guest says he will leave at 7 am, will we ask him to wait until 10am for us to arrive?
7. We dropped our claim from $295 to $130 because as an appreciation to Jeff spending time cleaning up, we tried to reduce the claim to the minimum by doing the repairs ourselves except the hard stain on the carpet.
I believe the reviewer will tell who is telling the truth.
I was still believing our communications were well until the damage issue came out, never expecting so many made up blames. As a host we have met nice, clean and understanding guests and also the opposite ones. As long as we act honorably serving our guests, I do not think we have to give up our own interest just to avoid receiving negative reviews. I believe that airbnb's policies protect both the guests' interest and the hosts' interest.