Peaceful old house in Dewsbury, with fast WI-FI, easy access to motorways & on direct train line from Manchester Airport, and to Leeds and York. Space to park inside our garden. Public transport to Yorkshire Moors, Huddersfield, Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Ossett & a walk from Red Brick Mill.
You are all welcome of course, not just arty people! We live in an old Victorian house, built in 1872, set in a private crescent, so away from traffic. Jorge is a cameraman and editor, as well as our technology Mr. Fixit! I (Elaine) am the artist and wedding photographer. Between us we speak several European languages: Greek, Spanish, German, French & Italian.
Dewsbury is near several major towns (Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford, Wakefield, under 10 miles apart) and has easy access to both M1 and M62 so you can explore from our home as a base. We have super fast WI-FI, and in house techie (Jorge). The internet password is in our house manual which Airbnb send you once you have confirmed your booking.
If you like walking there are several lovely walks and woods nearby too, I am veggie but my husband is a carnivore so if you would like to share a meal with us, just let me know. We often travel with our wedding photography and video work - to all sorts of places abroad, so understand how important it is to feel at home when away from home...much more fun than a hotel!
See our guidebook for bus and train station locations: London (189 miles), Leeds (10 miles), Bradford (10 miles), Huddersfield (10 miles), Wakefield (6 miles), Sheffield (30 miles), Manchester (40 miles). Happy to meet you from the train and to either walk up with you to show you the footpath, or to pick you up by car if we are around at the time you arrive. Message me if you'd like help checking best public transport routes, as happy to look them up for you.
If you fancy a bike ride to get around the various Greenways, and Canal tow-paths in the area, you can borrow one of our mountain bikes if you like too. You will still need to go up at least one hill to get back to us though I'm afraid, but if I can do it, am sure you can too. No worries if you choose to push it for the last bit though of course!
xx Elaine & Jorge
Accès des voyageurs
Our guests are welcome to sit in the garden, use the washing machine, and our front room too.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
We interact as little or as much as our guests need. We find most couples prefer to be left to their own devices, but if they need any help , of course we are more than happy to do what we can. We are often downstairs in our respective offices/ workspaces, or out photographing or videoing weddings, so have more flexible working hours than most people. There is usually one of us around at least though, so we do socialise with our guests if time and situations feel right.
Egyptian cotton duvet cover and sheets, all dried outside in the fresh air, so hopefully you will feel good, despite the budget prices. If you have time I can show you the nearby Greenway where you can walk or cycle, or Dewsbury Country Park, Ponderosa Rare breeds Animal Farm all within walking distance
1. Happy to meet you at Dewsbury Railway Station and to show you the footpath up if I haven't got a wedding on your arrival day (am an international wedding photographer, if you hadn't guessed that by now!) or to pick you up by car of you have heavy luggage.
2. There is a microwave, a 2 ring table-top electric hob, as well as a and a fridge, toaster and a little blender in your room, pots and pans, a washbasin, and little desk. The ON-OFF switch on the kettle has a 0 and a 1 on it. It doesn't light up so just listen for it working. The extra little knob keeps it hot all day, so avoid pressing that, or it might break. If you need anything else just let us know and we'll do our best to sort it out for you.
3. There is an electric blanket on the double bed to make it cosy before getting in on cold winter nights, and electric heaters in the room, and a spare duvet in the wardrobe. If you are travelling with a child, and one of you needs a few moments peace alone, you are welcome to sit and read in our front room. We can also put a single sofa bed in your room if needed.
4. We try to recycle all our waste so can you save clean plastic, paper, and washed and rinsed out tin cans or aluminium beer cans and cardboard please? They go outside in the GREEN bin just inside the wooden gates to our garden. Glass bottles and clean jars go in the green plastic box outside too. Biodegradable waste goes in the big compost bins by the garden shed at the end of the garden. You can help us help us by recycling your waste too.
5. Feel free to sit and enjoy the sunshine (when we have any!) in the garden, or simply play outside (if you have a child too!). Our grandchildren come to stay sometimes but the children have all left home.
6. Smokers are welcome to use the garden outside, where there is seating in the summer.
7. Happy to let you use the shower in our downstairs bathroom, but tell me first so I can adjust the water temperature down on our instant water heater, as the cold water pressure is low. NB. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHEN RUNNING HOT WATER UPSTAIRS, as it takes a good 5 minutes to arrive, due to the size of the house. The taps drip on - continue running a bit - after being turned off, so no need to screw them up too tightly, or this will damage the washers.
8. Also happy to let you use our washing machine, if you are travelling or staying with us for a few days.
9. Naturally you are free to come and go as you wish, and we tend to be night owls so don't worry if you are coming or going at unusual times of the day or night. A mini supermarket is just past the newsagents and is open from 8.00am to 10.00 PM 365 days of the year. So if you walk down Alexandra Crescent and turn right onto Birkdale Road, go past the newsagents, keeping to the left of that, you will see it on the corner on the left, 2 minutes walk from our house.
10. Just ask if you need anything, or help finding places of interest nearby.
11. The is a little café at the end of Green Lane - a 5 minute walk from our house - that also serves meals and has free wi-fi . Its only open till 4pm each day but could be a pleasant change if you like independent cafés. It has seats outside on a sunny day too.
xx Elaine & Jorge
I am a happy wedding photographer - international and multicultural (Reel Life Photos) , who travels all over the world capturing images that show the whole day, as it unfolds. This also means I have to spend many hours on my computer, so its good to unwind with our lovely Airbnb guests from time to time. Jorge, my husband, is a filmmaker, so also spends many hours editing, but he too enjoys a good conversation.
We have a map on the wall of our Airbnb room , covered in stars to show where all our guests have come from, over the years ,
I am also an artist, hence the house full of oil paintings!
Look forward to meeting you some day! xx Elaine and Jorge