À propos de ce logement
The authentic Wild West has never been this close or this comfortable! Our 1898 Chile Line boxcar-casita is loaded with unique charm, hand-crafted touches and complimentary treats that will make your stay in beautiful Taos New Mexico unforgettable.
Quiet, private and on a dead-end road with views over the open Taos landscape, some call the boxcar a sanctuary. This historic boxcar-casita is nestled next to the ever-changing organic garden and is perfect for those seeking sports & adventure, historic sightseeing, budget small family lodging, a romantic getaway, or a quiet retreat. It is great for quiet celebrations, but it is not a party house!
For the weary traveler the queen-sized bed, nestled in the garden-end of the box car, is well-appointed. Guests have called it the "most comfortable", and "best sleep I have had in ages". The sleeper sofa is easily made up to accommodate a third guest in the living room/library. A walk-in closet provides ample storage for short stays.
The big flat screen TV (with local channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime & a DVD player) and Bose surround sound can be luxuriously viewed from bed, the state-of-the-art loungers, and the dinning nook. More entertainment choices include a radio/boombox, games, the library & wifi internet. It has been photovoltaic-powered for last 15 years.
The compact kitchenette includes china, silverware, glasses, mugs, wine glasses, a two-burner electric stove, a small fridge, sink, toaster oven, microwave, coffee grinder and tea kettle. We also offer complimentary bubbly water, home-made granola and there breakfast foo, coffee, a variety of teas, 1/2&1/2 and basic spices. Next to the kitchenette is the dining nook with stunning views.
The luxurious claw-foot 'slipper tub' is the main feature of the bathroom annex, and invites leisurely baths or hand-held showers while viewing hundreds of acres of agricultural land, seasonally resplendent with coyotes, rabbits, soaring hawks, nesting magpies, cows and calves. The bathroom also features a low-flow toilet and sink, bathrobes, organic hand soaps, shampoo, bubble-bath and body creams.
Accès des voyageurs
Our guests have access to all of the facilities and amenities in and around the train car, its outside BBQ grill, plus our private hot tub (rules apply, see manual)! And yes, those constantly forming and changing pastures, hundreds of acres reaching out to Taos mountain.
Special note to tall people- our 19th Century train car has less than six foot clearances through doorways and some ceilings, so please be flexible, literally!
Échanges avec les voyageurs
We welcome our guests personally to introduce you to our guesthouse and the surroundings. If you'd like our local insider tips to Taos please don't hesitate to ask!
We have the most delicious, sweet well water!
We want you to feel at home during your stay, with these simple considerations:
• Please be respectful of the space. While quiet celebrations are encouraged, this is not a "party house".
• The boxcar is strictly a non-smoking space.
• As the boxcar is solar electric powered, please use energy-conserving practices.
• We request that guests be reasonably quiet after dark while outside the boxcar and in the hot tub.
• The hot tub is a guest privilege, and as such demands appropriate use. No drinking, eating or smoking in the hot tub, no excess body oils and creams, and please no love-making there!
• Unless otherwise arranged, guests should plan to arrive after 3 PM. Please call us with your estimated time of arrival so that we can plan to greet you.
• A quiet, well-behaved dog is welcome to accompany you, but please inquire first. In consideration of future guests and the longevity of our furnishings, dogs are not allowed on furniture. If you have been approved to bring your dog and it is a couch-sleeper, we request that you bring appropriate coverings to keep the furniture free of dog hair and dander. Please do not plan to leave your dog alone in the boxcar.
• Unless otherwise arranged, guest check-out time is 11 AM.
Si vous annulez jusqu'à 5 jours avant votre voyage, vous recevez un remboursement intégral, frais de service compris.
The high desert mountain valley of Taos New Mexico has been our home for over 40 years, and it must be said that we also have a special love of oceans and sea shores. When we are not traveling the world, we love meeting new people, sharing our love of Taos, and welcoming them to our much-loved boxcar guesthouse.
I am Jean, a retired Montessori teacher, tutor, singer, cook, painter, and vegetable gardener. I used to teach folk dances from around the world and sing Balkan songs and I have a great appreciation for folk cultures. My husband Stephen is a building inspector and solar developer, who loves riding motorcycles. We have two fabulous grown sons who live in Silverlake, CA and Longmont, CO with their respective wives and one adorable granddaughter.