We are sorry that this situation occurred. However, contrary to how it sounds, we are extremely conscientious hosts and would have done whatever it took to make Josh feel comfortable. As it was, we were told that he chose to purchase a product to spray around the perimeter and that was all that was needed. (We refunded him the purchase price.) And then we never heard about it again, so we assumed it was now a non-issue.
The cottage is, indeed, mostly in the woods, and nature being what it is, animal life can intrude. We are very environmentally and health conscious, so prefer to minimize the use of toxic chemicals. That being said, we will always take care of "pests" as needed.
We certainly hope that Josh remembers all the good things about his stay in our cottage!