Guðrún's place is incredible. The effort she has put in to setting up the place is appreciated. The cabin is much bigger than I had anticipated. There were three adults and plenty of room with suitcases, our own food and loads of coats!
The cabin comprises of two rooms (double and single bunk + single bunks), open lounge dining and kitchen, bathroom and entry hall. The storage in the latter for shoes and coats was invaluable.
Beds are really comfortable. Ample towels provided and linen was nice. Heating in all rooms but we didn't use it much. We enjoyed having the fresh air come through despite it being quite chilly. The smell of the cabin's wood was divine and seeing the thermometer through the dining room window was fun. Views from all windows are outstanding.
The facilities are incredible:
- coffee machine and coffee provided - a welcome change from the instant coffee we had been drinking
- more than enough crockery, cutlery, pots, pans, bowls and cooking utensils to cook a proper meal
- two hob gas cooker
- kettle and toaster
- bread warmer and toastie maker
- glad wrap and basics like oil, salt, pepper and sugar were provided
- clothes horse
- CD player (byo music)
- DVD player and discs provided
- outdoor setting and BBQ (a little too cool for us but would be fabulous in summer as the front deck faces north)
Things to be mindful of:
- there is no number of on the cabin but Guðrún will give you good instructions for when you arrive;
- we ran out of hot water on our first morning of showers with three adults. The second morning we boiled water for washing up, used cold water for brushing teeth etc and were fine;
- if you need the dark to sleep (in summer) byo eye shades as the blinds are not block out;
- as the cabin is wood we struggled with unlocking the front door at times so persevere.
The location is great. Central for the Golden Circle, great roads there and about 15km from a really good supermarket. It is really quiet and private without feeling isolated.
Guðrún was quick to respond and very helpful and patient with all our queries and need to change arrival time.
Guðrún's place is one of the best we have used with AirBnB. She has really thought through what makes for a comfortable stay and as we self-catered for our Iceland trip it was really appreciated.