Spacious, comfortable country retreat in small historic village less than an hour from London and 20 mins from Milton Keynes and Silverstone. Award winning gastropub just a couple of minutes walk away. Many lovely walks from the front door.
The beautiful village of Adstock is placed midway between Oxford, Cambridge and London seemingly in the heart of the English countryside but actually within a short drive of some of Europe's finest visits and shopping. Great if you want to visit London but want more space and peace and quiet, and great if you want to get away from London, but not spend hours driving.
We have a well equipped kitchen, but you can easily survive without cooking at all with a super restaurant and bar food in the pub next door, and food deliveries (groceries from Tesco or the British takeaway favorites of Pizza, Indian & Chinese) available at the door.
This is our family home and we let in on airbnb when we go away. Our things will still be here (e.g. our food in the cupboards, clothes in the wardrobes, books on the shelves etc). For longer stays we expect to empty some drawers, cupboards and wardrobes for your use. Please check with us if this is important to you!
Accès des voyageurs
The Chestnuts is a modern bungalow in the the historic conservation are in the center of Adstock and is the only modern house in the center. As you approach the main crossroads in the village turn east (right if you have not passed the pub) and the Chestnuts is the first house on the left. In the garden is the huge horse chestnut tree that dominates the center of the village.
You can turn into the drive ( it slopes upwards). The old village green is to the left of the drive - that's our front garden and good for playing sports and ball games. Our old Jaguar and Saab are at the top of the drive in front of the green double garage doors.
Walk up the steps to your right, past our big glassy "office" where we work when we are home, and follow the steps around to the sliding doors.
Once inside, you'll find yourself in our book lined hallway. Ahead of you on a shelf is a 50 million year old fossil fish and a model X-15 (to remind the kids what amazing things people can achieve). To your left is the main living room. Sharp left is the shower room. Ahead is the kitchen and to the right the bathroom and master bedroom.
The master bedroom is furnished in a minimalist style. Overhead lights operate over the bed with a switch next to the beds. There is an iPod/iPhone dock at the head of the bed. Be careful with the blinds, they are a little complex.
The bathroom has brass/gold fitting tiled walls and an elegant Victorian style bath. There is a bookcase with children's books outside the door.
Heading back to the entrance area the kitchen is to your right. It is spacious and charmingly pine paneled. The second bedroom leads off the kitchen on the left with twin beds - giving privacy between the bedrooms.
Back in the hall again and facing the front door the living room is on the right. This large comfortable room has a 42" plasma TV connected to a mac. You can watch Netflix or listen to music with Spotify all through high spec Harmon Kardon speakers and using the 42" display.
Next to the TV is a gas log fire. Just reach around to the top right of the fire to turn it on or off with the simple switch. It looks completely convincing but is safer and easier than a real fire. On the right of the room are sliding doors that lead out onto a secluded patio with vines growing on sheltering walls, good for breakfast, barbecues or dining al fresco.
Échanges avec les voyageurs
We generally only rent out our home when we are away on holiday so we don't interact a lot, but if you like a chat, our neighbour Glenda looks after the house for us and is very friendly.
We aim to give and get five star reviews throughout. Please contact Glenda or ourselves immediately if you have any problems.
We are generally pet free, but ask first if you have a small, clean pet and we will try to accommodate.
The property is very well placed for the Silverstone Grand Prix and Silverstone Circuit.
Welcome to the Chestnuts in Adstock! This is our family home and has been for many years. Please treat it with love and respect.
Your local contact is Glenda in Rose Villa across the road. She knows everyone and everything about Adstock.
1. Feel free to read the books and play the CDs, DVDs and Games - but please look after them and clean up after. You can use the Mac in the Living Room to watch iPlayer, NetFlix, check your email, play CDs and DVDs or play music on Spotify. This is the main entertainment center.
2. If you find that anything is not cleaned properly tell us or Glenda as we may have been away through several AirBnB visitors and it is possible that things can change from the standards that you and we expect.
3. You can eat the Grapes from the vine, herbs from the garden, blackberries and currants from the brushes but please don't waste them by picking them all off and leaving them to rot. That would mean the next people who get to use them will get nothing.
4. Some of the items are quite valuable museum pieces like the Syro-Hitte statues and the Fossil Fish. They are high up so small children can't reach them but treat them with respect! We are new to AirBnB but have home exchanged successfully a number of times.
5. We have a no shoes policy in the house. Please respect it. No smoking is allowed and of course absolutely no illegal activities of any type!
6. We trust that you will respect the house, the things in it and the neighbours.
7. Please don’t have things posted to the house even during your stay. We may ask the postman to hold onto items arriving during your stay so you will not get them.
8. Because this is a family home please leave things as you find them. We once had an exchange family take all our family pictures and decoration off the shelves and walls and dump them in a pile - explaining that they cleared up the junk. The same family dismantled things like the vacuum cleaner and threw the filters into the fish pond - we hope you won't do any of this but that is why we have a security deposit. We hope we will never have to use it - ever.
9. I hate to have a list of rules but sometimes one has to state the obvious. If you unplug things please put them back when you have finished. Do not enter locked rooms, the loft, garage or outbuildings except the green children's "playhouse".
10. Do not drink the wines and spirits unless you can pay their value as some of the bottles of wine by the hearth are very old and valuable (the Saint Emillions are worth around $300 a bottle). Do not enter or play with the cars unless you have special written permission from us. If you do have written permission from Mark or Beth you will need day insurance and will need to send us a copy of your insurance cover which must be comprehensive (URL HIDDEN)
11. You need to put the garbage and recycling each Tuesday early. The Blue topped bin is recycling, green topped is general waste.