As with all guests, my wish is that they have a very comfortable stay at my house and that they let me know if they need anything at all.
The fire alarm/smoke detector is installed for the safety of the occupants of the house. If it malfunctioned, I would have liked to have been informed of it. Being only 2 minutes away, I could have turned it off for you.
As for the damage, your case was unique. Accidents do happen, I understand this. However, this was intentional damage, and, unlike most guests, you did not inform me of it. Most guests let me know if there was an accident, apologize, and most offer to compensate me even without my requesting it. Note, too, that I have rarely asked for compensation. Rather than initially involving Airbnb, I asked for compensation well below the FMV of the products. When you suggested that they were plastic and only worth .86, you also suggested that I request a resolution via Airbnb, so I did. Following their guidelines, I had to prove the fair market value of the products, hence the value of the final resolution. I hope this clarifies the process. Had you let me know of the problems and not asked that I resolve it via airbnb, your experience would have been different. A simple apology may have sufficed.